Thursday, 7 January 2016

Preparing for primary school... 8 months early!

Why am I preparing for Mya starting primary school so early? To be honest I've been thinking about this for months. At one point I had an anxiety attack.



This is such a huge milestone. Not only for Mya but for myself also. This transition into "big school" is extremely daunting hence why I am writing this blog post 8 months before she starts. This is to mentally prepare myself until the panic starts in April when I find out what school she'll be attending.

Many people have told me it'll be easy as she's been going to day nursery since she was 11 months old. All I keep on thinking about is that it is going to be a new environment for her. She's been used to going to the same place 5 days a week for 3 years! I question myself whether I have made the wrong decision by keeping her at day nursery and not changing to a pre-school. I'm sure I'm not the only parent that has doubted themselves in regards to their children. It's something we naturally do. The question "what if?" will always be at the back of our minds. I should really stop pondering as I can't change anything now. I'll just do what I learned most parenting is about... I'll just continue to blag it.

To get prepared for September it's not too early to think about the practicalities!

Childcare 

Will I be working full time? Should I go down to part time? Would getting a childminder be better? Could I afford a childminder? Does the schools I've applied for have breakfast and/or after school clubs?

Do I want to take her to school and pick her up? Well ideally yes I do. Mya's my first child and I want to be a part of this stage of development as much as I can. But am I being realistic? This is why it's a good thing to be thinking about it early.

Uniform

Could I start buying uniform from now before knowing what school she'll be attending? Are the uniform lists for each school applied for similar?



Luckily the uniforms for each school are quite similar with the jumpers and cardigans being different. 5 out of the 6 schools applied for have a crested jumper or cardigan so that will be the last item I'll buy. Also 1 out of the 6 schools uniform is navy while the other 5 is grey. Thinking about it now it makes sense to buy it in April when I find out.

Where to shop and when to shop?

School uniforms are widely advertised and the prices do not seem to be bad.  I'll be looking to buy items that come in multipacks preferably as I am planning on having 5 of each items (one for each day). I'm looking more into buying pinafores as Mya's waist is tiny and that limits me to where I can buy skirts from.

I'm planning to shop for uniform in April and school shoes in July or early August. For uniform I'll be looking in M&S, John Lewis, Next, Asda, Sainsburys, Tesco and Matalan. For shoes in Clarks. Mya's worn Clarks shoes since she could walk and in my opinion are the best shoe shop for children. Especially those with slim feet.

Oh my!!! There's so much more to think about. Good thing I have enough time :)

Until next time.

Mumma who tries x

No comments:

Post a Comment